In the late 1800’s Mannum had an extensive German community, who held regular Sunday meetings to discuss their common interests away from the strong religious atmosphere of the era.
On February 1891 a general meeting was held in the home of J.S.Seppelt to extend their fraternal activities into the formation of a club licenced to sell alcohol.
J.S.Seppelt offered part of his property, being 3 bedrooms and a stable (rooms are where the gaming machines currently are), for the use of the club.
The business was opened on February 21st, 1891. The first barman in attendance was Mr C. Bock who was paid a salary of one pound per week.